Why I Write This Blog

Google Image
I’m coming up on my 250th blog since I began publishing them five years ago.

I’m sure many people who see them on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter, or receive a notice of them each week by e-mail, wonder why I do it. After all, religion is about as popular as taxes, something that’s on the mind of many of us this time of year.

Many people consider religion a personal matter, not to be discussed in polite society. This has, to some extent, been the case as long as I can remember, but nothing like today. In today’s society, discussing religion is as close as you can get to taboo.

So why do I write them?

Well, there are personal reasons, a hint of which can be found in the bio on my blogger home page. Having been a priest and a journalist, I have training and experience that lend themselves to writing such a blog. I suppose I’ve thought, “If I don’t write about the faith I’ve struggled to nourish all my life, who will?”

Always questioned his faith
“Ah,” some might think, “this guy used to be a priest, so he would naturally defend religion and faith.” Not necessarily. I consider myself a skeptic, someone who has always questioned his faith. Contrary to what many who know me may believe, my doubts have at times outweighed my belief.

But I also believe that writing this blog has become a way to continue what I started as a priest but because of current church law, haven’t been able to continue in the same way. (I don’t fault the church, by the way. It was my choice to leave the priesthood, although I do hope for a change in who can be a priest. I especially favor that role for women.)

I also write the blog because I understand and empathize with my fellow skeptics who struggle to embrace God and religion. I respect whatever decisions they make about these topics but hope my weekly offerings can help frame the issues and help them make rational and heartfelt decisions.

Google Image
And I write the blog because I have the impression that many of the people who reject, or are indifferent to, God and religion do so for rather flimsy reasons. Studies show that huge numbers of Americans are ignorant about theology, including the theology of their own - or their former - faith.

I’m no expert, but I try to read a lot on a variety of topics, including religion and theology. And when I do, I think that I’m doing so for readers who would like to be better informed but are slowed by the hectic pace of modern life, their own fears and anxieties or other reasons.

I believe the climate of opinion influencing disbelief and disinterest in religion is obvious. In novels, especially about crime or espionage, which I occasionally read, there’s almost always a presumption that “nobody still believes in religion.” No reasons are ever given. No rational arguments are made. It often simply appears to be a matter of the author making sure his readers know he’s “current.”

But the influence of books on public opinion is negligible compared to that of TV, at least before the age of social media (which mostly ignores God and religion). And in my opinion, no shows had more influence over people’s beliefs and practices, at least of those now in their 30s and 40s, than Seinfeld and Friends.

Seinfeld, which ruled TV between 1989 and 1998, is “widely considered to be one of the greatest and most influential sitcoms ever made,” according to Wikipedia. And all 10 seasons of Friends, on the tube from 1994 to 2004, “ranked within the top ten of the final television season ratings, ultimately reaching the no. 1 spot in its eighth season.”

How to be liberated
These shows, and copycats, showed young people of the time “how to be modern, liberated people.” The plots were often based on the characters’ sexual tensions and rarely included any reference to God or religion. The not-so-subtle message: Unlike your parents and grandparents, you don’t need God or the “restrictions” of religion in your lives.

These shows didn’t make these societal changes single-handedly, but they are, in my view, largely responsible. And they’re even more responsible for the sexual revolution, in which religion barely fired a shot.

I have the impression that many people today wouldn’t embrace religion for the same reason they wouldn’t wear wide-legged jeans, eat mostly meat and potatoes, or if female, wear their hair in a bun. In other words, there’s not much thought given to such an important decision. I hope I’m wrong.

And I hope my weekly blogs inject a bit of thoughtfulness – no matter how small - into this scenario. I believe many people, including those who consider themselves completely “secular,” having no apparent interest in God or religion, at times long for God and the help religion can provide.

I write these blogs for them, even though few of them may actually read them. I appreciate other readers, but honestly, you’re just along for the ride.

Comments

  1. And we're glad you write them. Congrats on 250.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel of The Little Prince

The Devil You Know

‘Spiritual but Not Religious,’ Revisited