Childlike or Childish?

Google Image

Since moving to Colorado, I’ve had lots of opportunities to spend time with my four-year-old grandson, Leo. Recently, we toured the Denver Museum of Nature & Science.

I know, it sounds like a bit too sophisticated for a four-year-old. But on the day we went, the museum was filled with children. About 20 school busloads, to be more exact. And we found lots of interesting things to see, even for four-year-olds.

As always, I was amazed at Leo’s curiosity about the natural world, as well as his interaction with the other children at the exhibits. He was especially fascinated by an exhibit of skinless men, called “The Hikers.” It’s part of a display of human bodies and body parts that have been preserved using a process called “plastination.”

One More Piece of Plastic?

That word says it all, and personally, I’m not comfortable with the idea of turning a human body into one more piece of plastic, and some may believe seeing such an exhibit is not appropriate for a four-year-old. But it was remarkable to see the body without skin, and I understood Leo’s fascination.

Aging, many say, often brings wisdom, but one of things I’m learning from Leo is that children may also be wise, particularly in their innocence and simplicity. Leo’s simple questions about the display made perfect sense and some were questions many adults wouldn’t think to ask.

What does all this have to do with the search for God? Mathew’s gospel explains.

“At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, ‘who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?’ And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them, and said, ‘Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.’”

Google Image
First, isn’t the disciples’ question interesting? Like most of us adults, they are interested in power and status, even though they should have known better if they had listened to Jesus’ message. (And, for me, this is among many passages that counters the argument that that the New Testament is merely a promotional document for ancient Christians. The disciples asking that question were among those earliest of Christians. This question doesn’t make them look good.)

But what does Jesus mean when saying we have to become like children? This, in my view, is where the search for God, and doubts about God come in.

Leo was almost completely dependent on me that day in the museum, but he wasn’t concerned. He knew I would help him and protect him no matter what. And he knows that about his parents, that day-in and day-out, they have his back.

He may have the ordinary worries of four-year-olds, whatever those are, but he doesn’t have to worry about his safety or where his next meal is coming from. He has faith in his parents, even though we know parents often betray their children.

So, I believe Jesus was urging his listeners to have that kind of faith in God, their ultimate parent. It’s evident in the gospels that Jesus himself had that kind of faith.

Never Imposes

But like his divine father, Jesus never imposed himself on others. Ultimately, they had to think for themselves and make a decision for or against him, or remain undecided – the state in which I believe many people reside today.

And that’s the difference, I believe, between being childlike and being childish. Being childish is the refusal to decide, preferring the limbo of indecision and using questions and doubts, including legitimate ones, as an excuse.

It’s like saying to God, “If you don’t give me all I want, including answers to all my questions, I’m taking my toys and going home.”

It’s true that we live in an age of confusion, and a thinking person will have questions and doubts. But God has given us minds to think through them and children to be our faith models. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Tom, all your blogs are good, but I especially like this one, the innocence of a child and what that means to all of us adults. Thanks for sharing my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel of The Little Prince

The Devil You Know

‘Spiritual but Not Religious,’ Revisited