An Antidote to Indifference?

Google Image
These weekly blogs are primarily meant for skeptics who, despite their skepticism, search for God. And they’re based on the premise that there is no contradiction between skepticism and faith.

Personally, I’m a believer, but with frequent and sometimes grave doubts, so I also consider myself a skeptic. I always look for evidence and have a problem when it’s lacking. I would guess that I’m far from alone in that respect. I write this blog in hopes that my reflections about my own search can help in somebody else’s.
Where I may part company with many skeptics is my belief that religion is a great support in the search for God. Although polls show that the number of people saying they believe in God has stayed pretty steady, there has been a well-publicized decrease in the number of people who profess a religious affiliation. They’re known as “nones.”

Nothing Less Cool?

I understand the sentiment. For many, nothing’s less cool than attending church. The common perception is that churches are frequented mostly by older people, many of whom are naïve and out-of-touch. It’s also believed that religious people are judgmental, intolerant and off-base on current social issues. Polls show that religious observance is associated with conservative politics.
What’s more, religious services are perceived to be boring and insipid, the rituals unintelligible and irrelevant and the homilies uninspiring.

But these are mostly stereotypes that we buy into because, as with most stereotypes, they dispense us from thinking. And in the case of religion, which makes counter-cultural demands on us, the stereotypes support our indifference and inertia.
Google Image
So let me tell you about two recent experiences of “church,” keeping in mind that going to church by itself doesn't make you a Christian. The first experience was at Old St. Pat’s Parish on the edge of Chicago’s loop. It’s a large, old church with an interesting history. But what goes on inside is much more interesting. On a recent Sunday morning, the place was packed for its regular 9:30 a.m. Mass, one of a half dozen Masses there each weekend.

From the outset, it was obvious that the people in the pews – who appeared to be middle- and upper-class – wanted to be there. Before the start of Mass, there was lots of animated visiting, much of it by the middle-aged priest who walked the aisles greeting and chatting with people. He set the tone with his friendliness and in making people feel welcome.
As could be expected in a church that appears to attract high achievers, the dozen or so singers and musicians sounded professional, and the people in the pews joyfully joined in the singing.

The homily, of about 10 minutes duration, was relevant, to the point, and applied the lessons of the Scripture readings to the actual lives of people in the pews. My wife and I left feeling that we had bonded with God and the other participants.
The other experience provided a contrast: a church in Denver with a very diverse, low to middle-class congregation and a priest who obviously understood what that meant. The congregation was an alloy of children, teens, young adults and old-timers, whites, African immigrants, African-Americans and Hispanics in about equal numbers.

Perhaps because of such diversity, the congregation seemed to particularly value its unity. After a welcome, a lay woman at the podium invited people in the pews to greet and introduce themselves to each other. The priest, pastor of this Jesuit parish, led the congregation expertly and his homily, though written out and not delivered in an especially engaging way, was a masterpiece.
The parish’s unity was evident during “the sign of peace,” the time in the Mass before communion when people greet each other with a hug or handshake and the words, “the Peace of Christ be with you.” Normally lasting a few minutes, with people greeting just the people around them, this one went on for at least five minutes. People, including the priest, roamed the church greeting friends and newcomers.

As expected in a parish whose members appear to be so diverse, the African-American song leader – backed up by several musicians – belted out a mix of hymns and songs, many in the style of traditional Black churches.

You May Have to Do a Bit of Shopping

Though the two venues were very different, they were modeled around the Mass, a ritual that has changed much externally over the years but is basically the same as that celebrated by the ancient Christian church. It’s true that the liturgy in many places is ho-hum, so people who want to attend church may have to do a bit of “shopping.” But there are good reasons to do so.

The media and society provide plenty of challenges to my faith – plenty of reasons not to believe, not to trust in God and others, not to search for God. There are lots of stuff to read, see on TV and in the social media to challenge my faith. Weekly worship is an antidote to all that.
It reminds me why I believe, despite the doubts. It shows me that, the polls and negative perceptions aside, I have many co-believers with whom I feel solidarity. The Scripture readings and homily provide a needed weekly reminder why I should choose good over evil, in my personal life and as member of society.

Weekly worship helps me focus on God – not just a “Jesus-and-me” prayer, but with my brothers and sisters - in a way I couldn’t possibly do on my own. And as a Catholic, the Mass allows me to join in Jesus’ offering of himself to the Father.
What can we offer God that is more significant?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel of The Little Prince

The Devil You Know

‘Spiritual but Not Religious,’ Revisited