The will of God?

Google Image

Traditional Christianity has always emphasized the need to “do God’s will.”

Fine, but if God exists, he/she is “out there” somewhere, so hidden that I don’t have a clue how to know God, let alone know what he/she expects of me.

That view sounds reasonable, but is it, really?

So many people in the world – you could say a vast "jury" – know this hidden God, maybe not in the way we know our spouse or neighbor but know nonetheless from God’s presence in the natural world, from Scripture (and that deserves a separate blog), and from the virtual certainty that all that exists didn’t occur randomly but from God’s creative genius.

A Career of Seeking God

So, about God’s will, let’s consult a person who made a career of seeking God and his/her will.

“How am I to know the will of God?” asks Thomas Merton, in his famous book, “New Seeds of Contemplation. “…The very nature of each situation usually bears written into itself some indication of God’s will.

“For whatever is demanded by truth, by justice, by mercy, or by love must surely be taken to be willed by God. To consent to his will is, then, to consent to be true, or to speak the truth, or at least to seek it. To obey him is to respond to his will expressed in the need of another person, or at least to respect the rights of others.”

Thomas Merton
Google Image
Before continuing, I should let you know that this book was published in 1961, long before most of us have awakened to the need to be gender neutral. Knowing what I do about Merton, I’m sure he would express that need in his current writing. He died in 1968.

And for those who know little to nothing about Merton, whose autobiographical book, “Seven Story Mountain” enchanted me in my youth, Merton was an American writer who, after a restless youth marked by the loss of both parents and years of searching for meaning, converted to Catholicism and entered a Trappist monastery in Kentucky. There he became one of the 20th century's most influential spiritual writers, inspiring millions through his books on prayer, contemplation, peace, social justice, and dialogue with other religions.

“For the right of another man,” he writes in “New Seeds of Contemplation,” “is the expression of God’s love and God’s will.”

Reading this, many Christians may get the notion that this is another case of “liberals” trying to reduce Christianity to a matter of our relations with others instead of focusing on God and God’s laws. But this advice from Merton comes from a person who has devoted most of his life to meditation, contemplation and focusing on his relationship to God.

Reflects the Gospel Message

I believe his message reflects the gospel: If you hope to have a relationship with God, you can’t ignore the needs of others.

Merton, who despite being a scholar and writer had to do the “menial” jobs that needed doing in a monastery – planting, hoeing, harvesting, cleaning, scrubbing, and teaching - then deals with our attitude toward work and its relationship to God’s will. Given the fact that so many people see work as a burdensome, necessary evil - a kind of slavery to economic realities – this should resonate with many of us.

“The requirements of a work to be done can be understood as the will of God. If I am supposed to hoe a garden or make a table, then I will be obeying God if I am true to the task I am performing. To do the work carefully and well, with love and respect for the nature of my task and with due attention to its purpose, is to unite myself to God’s will in my work.”


 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel of The Little Prince

The Wolf of Gubbio

The Morality of Nurse Jackie